The Physics Department within the Faculty of Science at the University of Cape Town seeks to fill two permanent academic positions at the lectureship level to strengthen its present research themes in High Energy Physics, and Experimental Nuclear Physics. iThemba LABS national laboratory is located close to the university, and UCT is presently growing its high performance computing facilities.
For the HEP position, we seek candidates who will link to our present contributions to either the ATLAS or ALICE collaborations at CERN, or to our present activities in high energy nuclear or particle physics theory.
For the nuclear physics position we seek candidates who will augment our present activities in experimental nuclear or particle physics, either fundamental or applied, using the facilities at iThemba LABS. Skill in radiation detector development or digital data acquisition would be an advantage, but is not a prerequisite.
The successful candidates for these posts must have a PhD in Physics, an established research track record, and demonstrable lecturing ability. He/she will be expected to:
- undertake quality research;
- lecture at both introductory and senior undergraduate level (including service courses), and give specialist lectures at Honours (4th year) level;
- supervise Honours-level, MSc and PhD students;
- teach both junior and senior undergraduate laboratories; and
- contribute positively to administration in the department.
The annual remuneration package for 2014, including benefits is R484 656
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Edith Graham at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- UCT Application Form (download at http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/sapweb/forms/hr201.doc)
- Covering letter
- A research and teaching statement
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Telephone: 021 650 5405 Website: http://www.phy.uct.ac.za
Reference number: SR 113/14 Closing date: 31st October 2014
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.