ONGOING AND UPCOMING EVENTS
- ALICE Mini week: 25-29 January 2021.
- CERN workshop on physics opportunities of O-O and p-O collisions at the LHC in Run 3: 4-10 February 2021
NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
- "ALICE takes leap forward with major new installation": On 12 January, CERN Bulletin covered the story of the installation of the Muon Forward Tracker (MFT). The installation video can be seen in the link here.
- CERN introduces proximity detecting device for personnel: Distribution of the Proximeter ongoing at eight locations at CERN according to the timetable here. You can book a slot to collect your Proximeter using the link here.
- Update on the COVID19 Guidelines: All users are encouraged to consult regularly the following information channel: https://hse.cern/covid-19-informationFrequently Asked Questions are listed in the COVID FAQ page. Quarantine for persons arriving in Switzerland is updated in the link here.
New this week:
- The current CERN teleworking framework has been extended until the end of February.
- Change in the hours of curfew in France: to run from 6.00 p.m. to 6.00 a.m. across the country, starting from Saturday 16 January, for 15 days minimum. If you foresee that you will go beyond the 6.00 p.m. deadline, you should carry the CERN “attestation de déplacement professionnel” with you. The attestation should also be carried when executing standby and piquet services during the night and is solely for professional purposes.
- The Swiss Federal Council is also extending and tightening its measures with effect from Monday 18 January. Details are in the link here.
For any information and support regarding the quarantine period contact ALICEfirstname.lastname@example.org
- ALICE secretariat opening next week: Monday 18th January, from 8h30 to 12h30 and from 13h30 to 17h30.. Nathalie, Guylaine & Julia remain available by phone and e-mail.
EVENTS OF INTEREST
- CERN: New Year presentation to personnel: 18 January 2021, 14:30 hrs.
- News from the Experiments at CERN's Antiproton Decelerator (140th Meeting of the SPSC): 19 Jan 2021, 08:30 hrs (Open Session).
- TH Cosmo Coffee, 20 Jan 2021, 16:30 hrs: "Neutron stars as laboratories for dark matter" by Sanjay Reddy (University of Washington).
- EP-IT Data science seminar, 20 Jan 2021, 15:00 hrs: "The 3 scales of science: online, sequential and interactive inference" by Prof. Aaditya Ramdas (Carnegie Mellon University).
NEW PAPERS ON THE ARXIV
- "First measurement of the |t|-dependence of coherent J/ψ photonuclear production": More info at the link here.
- "Coherent J/ψ and ψ′ photoproduction at midrapidity in ultra-peripheral Pb-Pb collisions at √𝑠NN = 5.02 TeV": More info at the link here.
- "Long- and short-range correlations and their event-scale dependence in high-multiplicity pp collisions at s√=13 TeV": More info at the link here.
- "Production of pions, kaons, (anti-)protons and φ mesons in Xe-Xe collisions at √𝑠NN=5.44 TeV": More infor at the link here.
- ”Event-by-event multi-harmonic correlations of different flow amplitudes in Pb-Pb collisions at 2.76 TeV”: More info at the link here.
PAPERS IN THE COLLABORATION REVIEW
Paper in Round - 1:
|Title||Deadline for comments|
15 January 2021
20 January 2021
27 January 2021
NEWS FROM POINT 2
Surface commissioning, commissioning at P2 and labs, and remote commissioning are progressing well for all central and subsystems. The main highlights of this week (RC meeting: https://indico.cern.ch/event/992675/):
- ITS: Deinstallation ongoing in the lab. Service installation at P2 ongoing.
- TPC : Connection of A-side and C-side ongoing. HV ROC connectivity tests successfully. All stacks ramped up to 50%. FC tested up to 10kV. Noise data taking for all powered sectors.
- MCH: CH9R in Station 5 started readout commissioning. New electronics installation ongoing for CH10R. 4 ST1 quadrants being installed in the FASS.
- MFT: Powering the entire MFT was done for 4 minutes (limited by cooling - now being commissioned) without any issues. Early commissioning through PRBS ongoing.
MW1 (17-22 January): Next week's MW1 is dedicated to O2 integration and subsystem integration into O2. Time-schedule is available in indico (https://indico.cern.ch/event/991294/).
- Forward physics and QCD (online), 20-23 January.
- Helmholtz MT meeting, Hamburg, 1-3 February 2021, abstract deadline 19 January
- CPOD2021, GSI/CERN/Berkeley - online, 15-19 March, abstract deadline 15 February
- DIS2021, Stony Brook, US - online, 12-16 April, abstract deadline 1 February
- OFFSHELL 2021, CERN - online, 6-9 July, abstract deadline 14 February
- Lomonosov 2021, Moscow, Russia, 19-25 August, abstract deadline 1 February
- ALICE Visits: since the onsite public visits are cancelled as of now, a possible scenario for the virtual visit can be found at this link.
- Weekly activities open to everyone at CERN: from relaxing coffee meetings to High Intensity Training. CERN colleagues have put together a series of activities to help us stay connected in these challenging times. Find out what's coming up in the link here.