Job description: https://inspirehep.net/jobs/18
The Rice University group has an opening for an applied physicist or software engineer to work on the online and data acquisition (DAQ) systems of the Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS) experiment at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN. The CMS DAQ is one of the highest data throughput systems in the world and is expected to increase its data throughput by more than a factor of ten in the coming upgrade. The US CMS DAQ team shares the responsibilities for the acquisition of data from custom electronics via networks, the aggregation of these and subsequent distribution to large cluster of computing nodes for event selection and the subsequent collection of the selected events, local storage and transfer to the CERN computing center for off-line analysis.
The responsibilities for this position include software development, integration, operation and maintenance for online systems that run on computing and network equipment typical for a data center. The successful applicant is expected to collaborate with both technical staff and scientists and efficiently communicate in such environments about requirements and proposed methodologies. The work location will be at CERN, Geneva, Switzerland. The successful applicant must be willing to occasionally work outside regular working hours, which may include nights, weekends, or official holidays, as well as have a willingness to do shift and be on stand-by duty.
Education: Master Degree in physical sciences, computer science, or engineering. PhD in physical sciences, computer science, or engineering is preferred.
- relevant experience in programming for real-time and distributed systems. Preferably this experience is in programming such systems for large particle physics experiments
- Ability to write and edit scripts
- Experience with performance analysis and optimization of distributed applications and multi-core and multi-socket computing nodes connected via high performance networks.
- Developing large-scale online software using Object-Oriented programming (preferably in C++) and Linux real-time system programming and inter-process communication.
- In addition to extensive experience with C++, experience with Python and Java is also preferred.
- Knowledge of Linux, knowledge of cluster filesystems is an asset
- Able to learn new tools and software and skills to adapt to existing in-house software standards.
- Experience with relational databases is an asset
- Experience with operation of accelerator-based physics experiments is an asset
- Proven ability to successfully work on multiple concurrent projects.
- Solid experience and ability to collaborate effectively with all levels of staff; technical, students, faculty and administrators.
- Strong effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team. Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
Interested candidates should apply here: https://jobs.rice.edu/postings/25710
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.