ONGOING AND UPCOMING EVENTS
Fraction of charm quarks that hadronise to form each species of mesons (quark-antiquark) or baryons (three quarks).
The ALICE measurements in proton-proton collisions show a larger fraction of baryons than those at colliders using electron beams.
- ALICE physics briefing for LHCP2021: 7-12 June 2021: The ALICE Collaboration has presented several new physics results at the LHPC2021 conference this week, as well as the ongoing major detector upgrade for the LHC Run 3, prospects for further upgrades for Run 4, and for a completely new heavy-ion detector for Run 5 and beyond.
ALICE Highlights and Perspectives were presented in the talk by Mateusz Ploskon. The detector upgrades and future prospects are described in the presentation by Christian Lippmann on Upgrades for ALICE. A selection of the main physics highlights is reported in this briefing.
- ALICE 3 Workshop, 14 - 18 Jun 2021: The second ALICE 3 workshop will be held ONLINE; please register if you plan to attend.
- Next ALICE Physics forum will be held on 23 June.
- ALICE week: 28 June - 2 July.
NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Update on the COVID19 Guidelines: https://hse.cern/covid-19-information
- Evolution of COVID-19 cases at CERN can be found here.
- CERN’s level of COVID measures from 14 June: CERN will be moving from level 4 – Red to level 3 – Orange on 14 June. Level 3 measures are detailed in the link here.
- CERN's quarantine rules: The current CERN medical and travel quarantine rules can be found here.
- Summer holidays: it is important to check the COVID-19 provisions that apply both at the destination, and upon return to the local area, in terms of testing and quarantine.
- Measures in France: The next steps in easing of restrictions in France has come into force since 9 June and include:
- Curfew hours from 11.00 p.m. to 6.00 a.m.;
- The space per customer in shops and covered markets will be reduced to 4m2;
- Restaurant and café terraces may open at 100% capacity, with a limit of six people per table;
- Restaurants and cafés may open indoor seating at 50% capacity, with a limit of six people per table. Details are in the link here. Useful summary of everything you need to know relating to COVID-19 in France: Link here.
Vaccinations are now available to all adults in France, and will be available to anyone 12 years of age and above from 15 June.
The “Vite ma dose” webapp (https://vitemadose.covidtracker.fr) provides the feature “Chronodoses” to find vaccination slots.
- Measures were further eased in Switzerland on Monday 31 May, leading to the Stabilisation phase. For full details, see: link here.
COVID certificates will be available throughout Switzerland by the end of June.
There have been no new changes to the list of countries and regions considered by Switzerland to be at risk. The list may be consulted here.
- Mandatory COVID-19 course to access the CERN sites is in the link here.
- COVID-19 safety courses can be found in the Learning Hub: in the link here.
- CERN's mental health resources can be found in the link here.
- COVID-19 Posters are located in the link here.
- Publication of CERN Safety Rules: can be found in the link here.
- ALICE secretariat opening next week: **day ** June (from 8h30 to 12h30 and from 13h30 to 17h30).
Nathalie, Guylaine, and Julia remain accessible by phone and email.
EVENTS OF INTEREST
- EP-ESE Electronics Seminars, Tuesday 15 Jun 2021, 09:00: "System-on-Chip - How to bring intelligence to an electronics board!" by Ralf Spiwoks (CERN).
- LHC Seminar, Tuesday 15 Jun 2021, 11:00: "Search for supersymmetry in electroweak production modes with the ATLAS detector" by Sara Alderweireldt (The University of Edinburgh (GB)).
- TH BSM Forum, Thursday 17 Jun 2021, 15:00: "A Model of Muon Anomalies" by by Admir Greljo (Universitaet Bern (CH)).
- Collider Cross Talk, Thursday 17 Jun 2021, 15:00: "Probing the Higgs coupling to muons in CMS and ATLAS" by Hongtao Yang (Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. (US)) , Stephane Brunet Cooperstein (Univ. of California San Diego (US)).
- BE Seminar, Friday 18 Jun 2021, 16:00: "Methods for characterizing rare isotope beams at the REX/HIE-ISOLDE Linear Accelerator" by Niels Killian Noal Bidault (CERN, INFN & Sapienza University of Rome).
NEW PAPERS ON THE ARXIV
PAPERS IN THE COLLABORATION REVIEW
New ALICE paper submissions appear in twitter: ALICE_Publications
NEWS FROM POINT 2
- General: ALICE shift booking is open since 12 May. Shift booking description can be found here.
Commissioning at P2 is progressing well for all central and subsystems.
- TPC: Track, PID and Raw digits combined QC with merger tested. Laser 1 replaced and tests continued with sync R/O with laser ongoing.
- ITS: AliECS test with full inner barrel ongoing.
- MFT: DCS commissioning ongoing. Noise scan in progress.
- MCH: Commissioning on ST2, CH7, CH9 in progress. Working on QC mergers for MCH QC workflow for ZS data.
- SW: working on QC mergers for MCH QC workflow for ZS data. contact central teams when ready.
- TRD: BUSY successfully tested today using CRU emulator. Xe filling finished
- FT0/FV0: Surface commissioning has been completed for FV0. Now integration tests are ongoing for preparing for installation at P2 (21 June).
||25 Jan – 12 May
OB: 16 Mar – 23 Apr
IB: 6 May – 12 May
|ITS standalone commissioning||13 May - 18 Jun|
|FIT-A||21 – 25 Jun
Transport. to P2: 18 Jun
|RB24 beampipe||28 Jun – 9 Jul|
|FDD-A||12 – 16 Jul|
|Close L3 doors||19 - 21 Jul|
|ITS & MFT commissioning time||2 weeks|
|LHC pilot beam test||W42-43 (tbc)|
|ALICE global commissioning time||4 months (18weeks)|
|End of LS2 – stop UX25 access (contingency)||1 Feb 2022 (2.5 months)|
- QCD21, Montpellier, France, 5 - 9 July 2021, abstract deadline 18 June.
- OFFSHELL 2021, CERN, Switzerland - online, 6-9 July, abstract deadline 15 June.
- ISMD2021 - Pitlochry, Scotland - online, 12-16 July 2021, abstract deadline 15 June.
- PARTICLEFACE 2021, Zagreb, 14-16 July 2021, abstract deadline 30 June.
- Hadron2021, Mexico City - online, 26-31 July, abstract deadline 15 June.
- BOOST 2021, CERN, online, 2 - 5 August, abstract deadline 18 June.
- DPG meeting, Germany - online, 30 August - 3 September, abstract deadline 1 July
- PANIC 2021, Lisbon, Portugal, 5 - 10 September, abstract deadline 20 June.
- PSD12, Birmingham, UK - hybrid, 12-17 September, abstract deadline 31 May.
- NUCLEUS 2021, St. Petersburg, Russia - hybrid, 20-25 September, abstract deadline 15 June.
- KKIO 2021, Krakow, Poland, 21 - 23 September, abstract deadline 15 June.
- AISIS, Mexico City - online, 11-15 October, abstract deadline 30 June
|Postdoc position in ATLAS||Georg-August-University Gottingen||25 June 2021|
|Postdoctoral position||Nuclear Sciences Institute (ICN) of National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), Mexico. Contact: please contact Antonio Ortiz|
|Industrial Controls Computing Engineer||CERN||28 June 2021|
|Software Engineer||CERN||12 July 2021|
|Software Engineer||CERN||28 June 2021|
|Data Engineer||CERN||23 June 2021|
|Postdoctoral Research Assistant AIDAInnova||University of Oxford||16 Jul 2021|
|Postdoctoral Fellow||Nuclear Science Division at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory|
|Postdoc position in STAR and/or CEE experiments||Institute of Modern Physics (IMP), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS)|
|Postdoctoral fellow in Particle Physics on the ALICE experiment at CERN||Lund University, Faculty of Science, Department of Physics||15 June 2021|
|Postdoctoral Position in the CMS group||ETH Zürich||18 June 2021|
|PhD positions in the CMS group||ETH Zürich with detector R&D activities||18 June 2021|
|Postdoc position||The Stefan Meyer Institute for Subatomic Physics in Vienna||1 July 2021|
Please refer to Job Announcements link for details.
- Visits (all group guided tours) are officially cancelled until end of August.
Extremely rare visits organised by Protocol or Press office or professional visits approved by a Department Head or a Spokesperson may still be possible.
CERN is gradually reopening to visitors: visit.cern website has been updated to inform the public of reopening plans.
- ALICE Virtual visits: are announced in the official CERN catalogue. A list of virtual visits is announced in this visits link.
Virtual visits can be organised on demand (as long as we can find a native speaker) for remote institutes and also for High-School and University classes. Looking for guides (volunteers) who can be in Point 2 (surface or underground) as well as in remote locations. Please contact: email@example.com
Saturday 5 June: ALICE Virtual visit was for physics students of the University of Thessaloniki and discussion about opportunities art CERN
Wednesday 9 June: ALICE virtual visit took place for interdisciplinary team from Florida state University
- Weekly activities open to everyone at CERN: from relaxing coffee meetings to High Intensity Training. CERN colleagues have put together a series of activities to help us stay connected in these challenging times. Find out what's coming up in the link here.
- "Anti-Harassment Framework and Support Structures" Tuesday 29 Jun 2021, 12:15 by Louise Carvalho, Diversity & Inclusion Programme Leader, CERN.
Are you curious about the Anti-Harrassment Framework at CERN? How much do you know about the CERN's Response Channel? What are the examples of behavior that should not be tolerated? This talk will cover all what you want to know.
Registration form and more info at the indico page. The event will be recorded. The registration is needed to receive a reminder about the start of the lecture and to inform you if the material is uploaded few days prior to the event.
ALICE Diversity Office website can be accessed here.
Have a great weekend and a great week ahead!