The Virginia Tech physics department is inviting applications for a postdoctoral associate position or senior research associate position with Prof Marie Boër's group. Our group is studying hard exclusive processes such as the exclusive photo- and electro-production of lepton pairs and of mesons, aiming at the extraction of Generalized Parton Distributions (GPDs). We are developing new experiments for the Jefferson Lab Hall C and Hall A, to explore GPDs with reactions that have not been measured yet. We are also expanding this program for the future Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), in particular with Hard Exclusive Vector Meson Production. Our current approved and/or proposed programs at JLab include Timelike Compton Scattering and Double Deeply Virtual Compton Scattering. Information about the group can be found at https://boer.phys.vt.edu.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to collaborate with the Jefferson Lab community, will develop simulations, prepare experiments and software, and will be involved in the development of the DAQ and/or a prototype detector for muons to be installed in Jefferson Lab. The candidate will also have opportunities to work with the graduate and undergraduate students of the group and will be encouraged to contribute to EIC programs related to this physics.
The position will be primarily based at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, VA. Frequent travels to Jefferson Lab (JLab) in Newport News, VA will be required. Being stationed permanently at Jefferson Lab is possible but frequent travel to Blacksburg may be necessary in that case. The initial appointment is for one year, with possible extension for up to 3 years contingent upon funding availability and satisfactory performance. Review of applications will start September 15, 2021 and the position will remain open until filled. The preferred start date is fall 2021.
Where to apply?
1) CV with list of publications (including technical notes and proceedings) and list of oral presentations (conferences...)
2) Cover letter including research experience, research plans and interests.
3) List 3 names and emails for reference letters.
4) Optional: up to 3 additional supportive documents can be included in the application.
- PhD in particle or nuclear physics by the appointment starting date. Previous postdoctoral experience for senior research associate. Salary is commensurate with experience.