The Niels Bohr Institute announces the availability of a faculty position in any area of theoretical physics with an emphasis on paradigm-shifting science. We seek to appoint an outstanding researcher based on scientific excellence, irrespective of the research area. We are looking for a candidate whose expertise will strengthen our mission to deliver excellent research and education. The position can be filled at the level of tenure-track assistant professor or tenured associate professor.
The successful candidate must be an outstanding scientist who has already had significant international impact on research and who has demonstrated: (1) the talent and vision to define an independent research program, (2) the scientific maturity to establish an independent research group, and (3) the ability to attract significant external funding in open competition at national and international levels. The successful candidate is expected to collaborate both internationally and within University of Copenhagen on research questions of broad-scale relevance.
Current faculty at The Niels Bohr Institute is active in broad areas of theoretical physics including Astrophysics (including Planetary Sciences and Cosmology); Gravitational Physics, Biophysics and Biocomplexity; Geophysics (including Ice, Climate, and Earth Sciences); High Energy and Astro-particle Physics; and Quantum Physics (including Condensed Matter, Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics).
The successful candidate will:
- Develop and lead an innovative research program of international quality
- Teach and examine students at all levels including lecturing undergraduate and postgraduate courses, supervising students, and contributing to curriculum development work. Act as a coach and role model through excellent practice and mentoring of junior colleagues
- Contribute to the promotion of equality, diversity and inclusivity in Physics
- Undertake appropriate administrative tasks in support of the Department’s activities
The essential criteria for this post are:
- A PhD in a relevant area or equivalent
- An established international reputation and expertise in a new or rapidly advancing research area
- Ability to expand the research portfolio of existing groups into new areas
- A track record of securing external research funding in open competition
For appointment at the level of Associate professor, in addition to the above, the following are essential criteria:
- An exceptionally strong established international reputation and expertise in a new or rapidly advancing research area
- Substantial and successful experience in undergraduate teaching and postgraduate training, including PhD student and postdoctoral supervision
The tenure-track assistant professor’s duties will primarily consist of developing an independent research program, including obligations regarding publication/scientific communication and research-based teaching with associated examination obligations. The successful applicant must teach, supervise, prepare and participate in examinations, and to a limited extent fulfill other tasks as requested by the Department. To a limited extent the position may also include other duties. Teaching qualifications are not mandatory but documented teaching qualifications and teaching experience will be considered.
The associate professor’s duties include the applicant’s own research, development of the field, assessment tasks, grant applications, and research management such as supervision and training of research fellows and other staff. The successful applicant must also teach, supervise, prepare and participate in examinations, and fulfill other tasks as requested by the Department. Applicants are required to have successful university level teaching experience, documented teaching competencies and must be able to explain and reflect upon their own teaching development, practice and portfolio. Formal pedagogical training or supervision equivalent to the University of Copenhagen teacher training programme for assistant professors is required. Candidates at associate professor level should ideally have been responsible for lectures and course development as well as supervision at both bachelor and master's levels.
The deadline for applications is 5 March 2023, 23:59 GMT +1.
More information and application: https://jobportal.ku.dk/videnskabelige-stillinger/?show=158371