The Omega Group in the Physics Department has an opening for a scientist to join the ongoing effort on the ATLAS experiment. In this position you will take a leading role in the construction and management of the ATLAS Inner Tracker (ITk) Strip Detector for the HL-LHC Upgrade. You will also mentor postdocs and junior staff, collaborate with other BNL groups, and have broader engagement such as education and outreach, DEI initiatives, and scientific service. The selected candidate is expected to grow in this role and eventually attain the distinction of tenure. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to construction, testing, data quality assessment, integration, and commissioning of a large silicon-strip tracking detector for the ATLAS HL-LHC Upgrade (ITk)
- Provide leadership of scientific, technical, and administrative members of the group/collaborations, including Project Management, as needed
- Troubleshoot and solve technical, logistical, organizational, and software-related problems
- Communicate effectively with the ITk team at BNL as well as national and international ITk collaborators in ATLAS
- Participate in the ATLAS scientific program